Leeds North West Political Speed Dating
Thursday, 8 April 2010 by ljohnson
The final stop on the UCU political speed dating tour was Leeds North West. Greg Mulholland, the Lib Dem sitting MP at the time of the event, Judith Blake (Labour), Julia Mulligan (Conservative) and a representative of the Green Party, Lesley Jeffries all attended to meet the people’s panel.
The people’s panel covered everything from vocation education and adult education to higher education.
- Julie Brown – adult education lecturer at Swarthmore
- Zunaid Karim – community activist and a father of four
- Nazir Karim – one of Zunaid’s sons and a first time voter. He is doing A-Levels and hoping to go to university.
- John McCallum – Head of Construction at Bradford College
- Geraldine McCallum – Curriculum Leader in Engineering, Bradford College
- Brendon Nicholls – University of Leeds Lecturer in an ‘under threat’ department.
The event was filmed for Reuters International and covered by local station Real Radio. BBC Radio Leeds also ran a piece on the event where Julie spoke live to people across Leeds about the needs of those who work in and access adult education.